It’s Halloween today, and although I’m not one to celebrate it, it doesn’t stop me eating all the goodies that are available at this time of year. I thought this year I would make some very quick and simple treats that friends and family could enjoy if they popped round to ours. I’ve made a video of this on my YouTube Channel. Go and check it out here for some simple hints and tricks.
2 large egg whites – weighed
caster sugar – double the weight of your egg whites
dash of vanilla
pinch of salt
black royal icing
1.First of all you want to separate 2 large eggs and weigh the egg whites (pop your yokes aside for now, you may want to make an omelette or some custard later). Whisk until light and fluffy.
2. Then weigh out your caster sugar (this is double the weight of your egg whites)and add slowly making sure its all mixed. To test if all the sugar as dissolved, test a little bit of the mixture between your finger and thumb, if you can feel grains – keep mixing.
3. Add a dash of vanilla and a pinch of salt and mix again
4. Place some mini marshmallows onto a lined baking tray and pipe your mixture over the marshmallows (you want 3 blobs on top of each other)
5. Bake at 100oC for 35 mins
6. Pipe some eyes on using royal icing or get a little more creative than I did
Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats
10 oz marshmallows
orange food colouring
6 cups of rice krispies
tootsie rolls or toffees
1. Melt the butter until its completely melted
2. Add the marshmallows in and stir until they have also melted
3. Take off the heat and had orange food colouring (enough to make a pumpkin like colour)
4. Stir in the rice krispies making sure to coat all of them in the marshmallow mixture.
5. Start shaping balls of rice krispie mix and place on a lined baking sheet
6. Pop a tootsie roll or toffee in the top to act like a stock
There we go, 2 very quick and simple treats that you can try this halloween!